Below are my thoughts from the daily Bible reading of the West Side Church of Christ. Before reading I invite you to pray and asked God to speak to you as you read his word. Also above in the tabs is a link to the Bible reading plan.
Please say an extra prayer today. Nearly 20 West Side Christians and Teens are in Gatlinburg for the Tennessee Christian Teen Convention. Pray that our travels will be safe. Pray that our teens will be challenged to follow Christ more closely with their lives. Pray that our youth group will bond tighter during our time away.
What Does this Passage Say?
- Our reading today focuses on Jesus power. Not only was Jesus the Son of God but He was God incarnate which means God in the flesh. Jesus had control over everything in creation. We see that when He heals the man’s leprosy. We experience His power over paralysis. We are marveled when we He heals Peters mother-in-law from her fever. We witness Jesus have power over the demons of the spiritual world. We are amazed as He speaks and calms the wind and the waves. And we are astonished when He cast the demons out into a herd of pigs. In this one chapter we see Jesus’ power over sickness, the spiritual world, and the physical laws of nature. Jesus is truly God in the flesh.
- Not only does this chapter highlight Jesus power, it also highlights what it is that invokes Jesus power …faith. The man with leprosy had faith that Jesus was able to heal him. The centurion’s faith amazed Jesus. These were people who were only given a glimpse of Jesus and they had great depths of faith.
- The people who shock us the most are Jesus own disciples. They are in a boat, rocking on the waves and scared for their lives. Jesus rebukes their lack of faith. They should have the greatest level of faith, they are with Jesus constantly, yet they have the weakest amount of faith. This is immediately contrasted by Matthew when pointing to the demons. They know who Jesus is. There is no level of faith on their part. They have seen Jesus from the beginning of time. They do not have faith; they have 100% belief in Jesus and His power and ability.
What is this passage teaching?
- This chapter teaches us a great lesson in faith. When we are willing to have faith, to put our trust in Jesus we can be confident that there is nothing more powerful than Him. He has power over sickness. He has power over the spiritual world. He has power over the physical laws of nature. We should take comfort in that knowledge. With that comfort and knowledge we can have faith in allowing Jesus to lead our lives.
How can I apply this passage to my life?
- Are you currently going through the storms of life? Are you facing a sickness? Are you battling the temptation of Satan? Are you struggling with your finances? Has a physical calamity struck you and your family that you did not see coming? Where is your faith? Are you like the centurion or are you like the disciples? Try faith in Jesus for the next thirty days, relying on His strength and power and see if you find any strength and relief.